TEAM LEADERS WORKSHOP
Alice asked Cheshire cat “which road should I take?” (Cheshire cat) “Where do you want to go?” (Alice) “I don’t know” (Cheshire cat) well it doesn’t matter which road you take.
How do you tell a good leader? “By how many people will follow them into battle”
What is Coaching?
A discussion process between members of an organization aimed at exerting a positive influence in the motivation, performance and awareness of areas for improvement and development of another person to help them be as effective as possible
What is transformational Leaders!
A literature search of over 200 books and articles confirmed that successful organisations had more innovative and productive teams and team members who were more loyal and committed. They also had leaders who exhibited characteristics that “transformed a group of individual into a high performance team. " Our first research question was: If successful organisations had more innovative and productive team members, and if loyal and committed team members were more productive and innovative. . . . what role does transformational leadership play in creating and sustaining individual team members loyalty, innovation, commitment, and productivity? Yet there existed no valid instrument for identifying those people who exhibited transformational leadership behaviours. We can identify transformational leaders by the way they exhibited these transformational characteristics;
1. Sharing the vision
2. Building a learning environment
3. Being a positive role model
4. Recognising individual abilities/values
5. Reinforcing self-confidence/independence
6. Supporting their team members
7. Driving out fear
8. Encouraging participation/self-expression
9. Fostering continuous improvement
10. Fostering initiative and responsibility
11. Encouraging persistence
12. Emphasising intrinsic outcomes
13. Advocating shared leadership
Acrostic - Leadership - Team
A great philosopher was once asked what his style or way of leadership was. He said, “There isn’t one style or way of doing things. Success in leadership comes from taking a bit of all the things you have learned from every style and way you have learnt it, and then adapting it to what you need for the environment, time and person you are dealing with. ” In other words there is no one-way to do things.
I have chosen to take the good parts of many different leadership styles, and I have created my own blend of mix, so that I can implement what suits the occasion I am in, whenever and wherever it is needed.
The best way I have heard it stated was by John Maxwell when he said, “No matter how much you learn from the past, it will never tell you all you need to know for the present. ”
My Ice-burg Leadership Theory
Team - above the water, this is what everyone sees.
Leadership - keeping the team afloat
If what you see above the water is excellence, it’s only due to the capacity of the teamwork and leadership below – this is what makes the team stable.
As we get stronger spiritually we add support, commitment, ownership, passion loyalty, and growth to our team. If you want to be served you need to serve. If you want to be a good leader you need to be the best servant of all. Emulate what you wish to see in others.
Value Verses Idea - What is the value of leadership?
Why are you in leadership?
Is it because the idea of becoming a leader sounds great? When times get tough an idea will not keep you going, if you value nothing your commitment will fluctuate.
What is the value of the things you do? We need to be Consistent. Ask yourself if you are the same at work as you are at home and whether you work because you enjoy it, or you work because you need to. If you work because you need to, you are working for an idea; this type of person will clock on and clock off at the minute.
Seven Leadership Mindsets;
1. Sow to grow not to survive – (don’t just do what you have to, invest in development and growing yourself)
2. No glass ceilings – (seek to exceed, don’t be the best – be better than the best)
3. Don’t compromise – (do unto others as you would like done unto you)
4. Take responsibility for your actions and decisions – (Be they positive or negative, take responsibility face to face with your team)
5. Accept no surprises – (hear everything your team has to say, good and bad)
6. Don’t accept that it “can’t be done” – (can’t, is an acceptable challenge) use cup eg;
7. Build your credibility before, you sell your credibility – (don’t speak before you have achieved, hope is a confidence - but action is substance)
Other books written by Trevor Bartely View his site http://www.sysm.com.au Ministry of Helps, Leadership & group facilitation, Where have we Robbed God? Basic for Believers, Finance for believers The Word of God, The Character of God, Supernatural Prayer, Evangelism, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, Faith Exposition of Ephesians (focusing on the new creation reality) Ministry Gifts & Talents Heroes of the faith ( J A Dowie, E Roberts, K Kuhlman , etc ) The book of Mark, Abundance, Worship, Apologetics, Marriage and family, Thou shall Prosper, Heroes of the faith (David, Esther, Moses, Paul), Chaos of the cults