1. Have A Strong Constitution – Justices deliver decisions by interpreting the U. S. Constitution. Never let the challenges of running your small business overwhelm your judgment.
2. Trust Your Beliefs – Members of the Court maintain supreme confidence in their opinions. Know your core values, and let them serve each day as your guiding light.
3. Treat Everyone With Respect – Justices take an oath to “do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and… faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties. . . " Hold yourself to the highest standards in dealings with customers/clients, employees and suppliers.
4. Address One Thing – The Court receives 7,000 appeals each year, accepts about 100, then disposes them one at a time. Focus on your most important issue before moving on to the next.
5. Listen First – In your small business, as in court, be sure to listen before deciding, especially when dealing with employees and speaking with prospective customers/clients.
6. Be Decisive – Stick with your decision, unless things change and overturning it is necessary.
7. Majority Rules – Five concurring votes determine a Supreme Court ruling. Don’t wait to make a decision until you’re 100 percent certain; when your instinct reaches a majority, move forward.
8. Dissent Is Healthy – Justices who disagree with the majority may write dissenting opinions. Encouraging your team to voice their opinions – regardless of whether they agree with you – will lead you to better decisions.
9. Seek The Best – We view Supreme Court justices as our nation’s top legal minds. Always hire the brightest employees, regardless of the position…and be patient finding them.
10. Skip The Critics – Justices adhere to their interpretations regardless of political pressure, public opinion or media hype. Keep negative people away from your decision-making process.
11. Dress Appropriately – Justices’ robes represent the honor of their position. Whatever the attire and décor for your small business, uphold the standards for everyone on your team.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com ), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he’s been there – as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.