1. Know Where You’re Going – Coach Herb Brooks had a strategic plan for assembling the American team. Take time to determine the direction you want to take your small business, then put in place the action steps and players to accomplish your goals.
2. Rise To The Occasion – 13 days earlier, Russia beat the Americans 10-3 in an exhibition, but when it counted the Americans claimed victory. Whenever you have the opportunity to take on an incredible challenge, believe you are qualified to accept it.
3. Finish The Job – After beating Russia, Team USA still had to play Finland two days later for the gold. Enjoy victories along the way, and stay focused on tomorrow.
4. Let Everyone Celebrate – Captain Mike Eruzione invited every player onto the gold medal platform…a break in Olympic tradition. Be sure to reward your entire team for your successes.
5. Avoid Overreacting – At least one Russian threw his silver medal into a Lake Placid dumpster. When something doesn’t go as planned, pause, then get to work fixing it.
6. Never Give Up – The Americans trailed in six of their seven Olympic wins. As a small business owner, there will be tough times; always believe you will make it through them.
7. Rally Around A Cause – Team USA brought together an America that was dealing with difficult political issues around the world. Focus your team on the big picture, so everyday distractions don’t interrupt the plan for achieving your goals.
8. Put Yourself On The Map – Lake Placid has a current population of 2,638…but it will always be remembered in sports lore. Create lasting moments, whether world famous or simply in the immediate vicinity of your small business.
9. Check Your Ego – Brooks said, “The players had big egos, but they didn’t have ego problems. ” Be confident, while keeping in mind that to be a leader you need followers.
10. Develop Overachievers – The young Americans blended together to be the best team in the world. Inspire your team to seek heights they can’t imagine are possible.
11. Be Memorable – Al Michaels’ call of the game’s final seconds is one of the greatest in sports broadcasting history. Aim high! Make your small business the best it can possibly be.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com ), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he’s been there – as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.