The best cover letters are ‘one-page wonders. ’ Why? Because they suit today's busy employers who are already overloaded and often overwhelmed. The best way to catch their attention is to ‘be brief–and be gone. ’ Leave them wanting more–so they'll call you for an interview–which is just what you hope for. Write a letter that makes your point about the job you want, displays your enthusiasm, and clearly asks for the opportunity to meet in person.
Put these SEVEN SECRETS of a ‘Short and Sweet’ Cover Letter into practice and get your phone ringing next week:
1. Write a cover letter that fits on one page - MAX - three paragraphs total!
2. Give your letter plenty of ‘white space’ by creating generous margins and double spacing between paragraphs.
3. Use bullets and numbered lists when appropriate. This allows for easy scanning.
4. Start the first sentence of each paragraph with bold-faced type to draw in the reader.
5. Create paragraphs with three to four well-written sentences each. Convey your passion and enthusiasm to be interviewed for the position being offered.
6. Print out the completed letter and scan it for that ‘easy on the eyes’ appearance. Remember, less is more.
7. Clearly and directly ask for the opportunity to be interviewed!
There you have it! SEVEN SECRETS that will land you more job interviews and hopefully the job you've been searching for.
How short and sweet it is!
Jimmy Sweeney is the president of CareerJimmy and author of the new, “Amazing Cover Letter Creator. " Jimmy has written several career-related books and his unique, “think-outside-the-job-search-box" approach, make his articles a job-seeker favorite. Jimmy is regularly published on some of the Internet’s largest career web sites.
Who else wants their phone ringing off the hook with more quality job interviews? Visit Jimmy on the web right now at http://www.Amazing-Cover-Letters.com for your ‘instant’ cover letter today.