An engineering resume is written using a simple format. The contents in this resume should be included by considering the requirements of the employer. It should clearly highlight your technical skills and capabilities in the resume. It is also necessary to draft a resume that is professional and well drafted and one which would impress your employer and get you the desired results.
The work experience and educational qualification section in your resume is the most important section. Hence, it is highly recommended to utilize the combination or the functional format for drafting an engineering resume.
Here we provide you the basics for writing a good engineer resume:
- The resume should begin with the contact information. It should basically include information such as name, address, telephone numbers and email address in it.
- The next section below the personal contact information is your objective statement. It should clearly state your career goals and the position that you wish to seek in the company.
- Include information about any achievements or special awards that you have received and it will help your resume stand out from other competing candidates’ resumes. You can also include information which is not relevant to the position. Highlight information about any special projects that you have completed in your resume.
- In the education section of your resume include information about the education that you have completed. You can also include information about any certifications related to the field of engineering and also information about the college from where you have completed your graduation.
- Use the keywords which are related to the field of engineering and your job target in your resume. In an engineering resume, you can also use the names of programs as keywords in a resume.
- Don’t include information such as areas of interest and hobbies in your resume. Instead, you can include information which would inform and impress the employer and help you to get your dream job. The content included in the resume should be positive and avoid including information about any reasons for leaving the previous job in it.
- The work experience section should include information about the previous work experience and have a list of responsibilities undertaken by you in the previous job. The information listed in this section should be in reverse chronological order (begin with the most recent jobs).
- The last section of your engineer resume should be references. It should include at least two to three references. You should include only those references that are professional.
- It is necessary to draft a resume that doesn’t contain any errors. Hence, revise all the contents included in the resume and make the necessary changes.
- You can browse different websites and refer to sample engineering resumes that are available on these websites. These sample engineering resumes will give you an idea about the ideal formats and sections to be included in it.
- While drafting a resume, you should also take into consideration the fact that the resumes are sent and viewed using computers. Therefore, the content should be drafted in such a way that it seems appealing on a computer screen as well.
Thus, the basic guidelines for drafting sample engineering resume are provided here which will help you to draft your own effective resume.