It has been well documented that employees’ productivity and job quality increase when we are made to feel welcomed at work. In other words, when the motivational climate is enhanced to meet their needs they produce quality work at the 100% rate.
The factor that caused them to produce at such high standards is their employer enhancing the motivational climate. As a result, they came to work, not because they had to, but because they wanted to.
By listening to your employees, they will tell you what you can do to enhance their motivational climate. In the meanwhile, here is a checklist to help you get started. Ask yourself, Do I:
* select the right person for the task based on a combinations of their needs and qualifications and the company's immediate requirements? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* hold regular, brief, but effective conferences so that they will be informed about developments affecting their jobs? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* encourage my employees to participate in goal-setting, planning, and decision-making activities? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* delegate whole units of responsibility with the appropriate level of responsibility? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* respond to their questions and concerns promptly, openly, candidly, and fairly? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* encourage them to join trade, professional, or civic organizations? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* give them proper and public credit and recognition when due? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* communicate so they understand the first time? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* conduct fair and consistent job evaluations? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* accept and implement their suggestions? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* help them see what's in it for them? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* support their educational pursuits? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* help them see the Big Picture?( ) Yes ( ) No
* take time to listen to them? ( ) Yes ( ) No
* attend to their needs? ( ) Yes ( ) No
Total your score. If your No's outnumber your Yes responses, it's time to sit down with your employees and find out from them what you can do to enhance their motivational climate.
Remember: When you maximize your potential, everyone wins. When you don't, we all lose.
© Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW
PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH: This article may be republished in ezines, newsletters, and on web sites provided attribution is provided to the author, and it appears with the included copyright, resource box and live web site link. Although advance permission is not required, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you use this article.
Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW, Management Consultant and Trainer, conducts seminars, lectures, and writes articles on his theme: . . . helping you maximize your potential. He offers management, marketing, and parenting resources at his Maximizing Your Potential blog.