"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else. " - Sam Walton
The success of any business depends on how well it treats its customers. Customer service refers to the ability of an organization to consistently give the customer what he or she wants and needs. Try the following 10 tips to improve the level of customer service in your company and boost its image.
1. Stay in contact - Ask customers if they want to be updated on developments that might interest them. If your product is sophisticated and does not fall into the “impulse buy" category, chances are that you will need to adopt a counseling approach to sell. In such a case, after every sale, follow-up with the customers to see if they are satisfied with their purchase.
2. Create a customer focus group - Get ten to twenty of your most loyal customers to meet regularly. Encourage them to give ideas and inputs on how to improve your company's customer service levels.
3. Resolve customer complaints quickly - Answer all customer complaints, whether through e-mail, in person or by way of a phone call, at the earliest. If possible, you, as the owner of the business, should personally take care of the problem.
4. Be easily available - Give your customers as many ways to contact you as possible. Allow them to reach you 24x7 via e-mail. Offer toll free numbers for phone and fax contacts.
5. Treat your clients well - Send thank you gifts to long time buyers. E-mail online greeting cards on holidays or birthdays. Be flexible about the way you deal with every customer; each one has different concerns, needs and wants.
6. Be polite to your clients - Never, ever lose your cool with a customer. Be polite to them even if they are annoyed with you. A smiling face and comforting words will go a long way in soothing frayed nerves. Admit your mistakes quickly and always apologize.
7. Build strong relationships with your customers - Invite them to company meetings, luncheons, workshops or seminars. It will make them feel important when you include them in regular business operations and special events.
8. Listen to your customers - Hear what they have to say. Sometimes, customers may say one thing but mean another. Pay attention to their body language and tone of voice, not just the words.
9. Always keep your promises - Make promises sparingly, and keep them faithfully, no matter what it costs. Do not promise the customer anything you cannot deliver. If you tell your customer you will call at a particular time, do it even if the merchandise requested is not yet in.
10. Never forget what it's like to be a customer - The most important tip is to always remember that you are a customer too! Treat your customers as you would like to be treated.
By following these simple customer service tips that we have put together for you, you will be creating a loyal customer base which will return to you again and again. One satisfied customer is equivalent to many marketing dollars in terms of favorable word-of-mouth!
Hi, I'm Akhil Shahani, a serial entrepreneur who wants to help you succeed. If you like to work smart, check out http://www.SmartEntrepreneur.net It's full of articles and resources to help you start and grow your business successfully. Please visit us & download our special “Freebie of The Month" at http://www.smartentrepreneur.net/freebie-of-the-month.html