Promotion is one of those things almost everyone wants after a successful job search. But no one is bold enough to ask for it.
If you’re determined to get ahead after a successful job search and are willing to follow some simple steps, you can move the odds of a promotion significantly in your favor.
1. Under NO circumstances do you ever ask for a promotion!
2. Get yourself a mentor. Someone a level or two above you that you feel comfortable with . . . with whom you can talk and get advice.
3. Determine the factors that go into promotions where you work. For example, does your boss select people he/she feels comfortable with - that they hangs out with? Or do they base decisions based solely on performance? You need to develop that skills that match up with your boss’ expectations.
3. Let your boss know you have more to offer. For example during a performance review you can ask, “What more can I do for the organization. " Or “What more can I do to make myself more valuable?"
4. Write down a list of your accomplishments. Be very precise and use quantifiable results. Then give the list to your boss for review in advance of your performance review.
5. Tell your boss you’re looking for further training, e. g. a computer course or specialty seminar. Send an unspoken message that you’re interested in moving up the ladder.
6. Get involved in civic or philanthropic activities supported by those at the top of your organization.
7. Show your initiative by recommending new ideas or projects. Send a message to your boss that you have something more of value to offer.
8. Look for ways to make a contribution by volunteering your extra time, e. g. after work hours.
Any guarantee that if you do all these things you’ll get a promotion? No. As you already know, there are no guarantees. But if you’re serious about getting ahead, follow these steps and you can dramatically move the odds in your favor.
Paul Megan manages EEI, the world class leader in alternative job search strategies and non-traditional career advancement since 1985. Check out THE WORLD'S FASTEST JOB SEARCH SYSTEM! Grab EEI's stunning FREE REPORT: “How To Lock Up A High-Paying Job In 14 Days (Or Less)!" http://www.fastest-job-search.com