Are you planning to launch a direct mail marketing campaign to promote your professional practice or small to mid size business? If so, here is a 7-step process that can help you to protect your marketing investment. This process is based on strategic marketing principles that can set your direct mail campaign up for success.
- Define your objectives: Identify how you plan to gauge the success of your direct mail initiative. Will it be deemed a success because of the number of new inquiries, the resulting sales revenue or improved loyalty? Ensure that you are able to measure results so that you can use them to plan future marketing strategies.
- Project your return on investment: Projecting the return on your investment will inform you as to how profitable your direct mail marketing plan is expected to be. Calculations should account for:
- The number of pieces to be mailed.
- The cost for design, development, printing and postage.
- The projected buy rate and average profit per sale.
- How open your target industry is to receiving marketing material.
- How available an email list or mailing list is.
- Requesting permission to distribute promotional email.
- Addressing email spam control mechanisms.
- The cost savings an email campaign delivers on printing.
- A personalized letter that communicates the purpose of the mailer as well as knowledge about the recipient’s unique needs.
- Targeted marketing material, such as a firm brochure, that efficiently delivers impact.
- Clear and concise key messages.
- An attention grabbing and emotional connection with the reader.
- A compelling offer that solves a problem for the prospective client or patient.
- A powerful call to action.
By following this simple yet disciplined approach to planning for your direct mail marketing campaign you will be able to maximize the return on your investment while also establishing a process for the continuous improvement of your future marketing efforts.
Bekhor Management is a full service business and marketing consulting firm in Toronto , Ontario focused on building better business for professional practices.
Our services include marketing , branding, strategic planning and business planning. Sandra Bekhor speaks, teaches and writes about practice development for various professional associations.
We invite you to visit the business development resources on our website or call us at 416-969-9600 for an initial consultation without fee or obligation.
Copyright 2007 – Sandra Bekhor. All rights reserved. You may reprint this article as long as you leave all of the links active, do not edit the article and give the author credit.