So much is written about article writing to increase Web exposure that sometimes we fail to use our articles to full advantage in other areas of our life. I have discovered over time that including a link to your articles within your resumé (curriculum vitae) increases your chances of getting a contract or permanent position within a company. Here's why:
- Employers or Employment Agency Consultants actually do read your articles and this gives them more insight into your knowledge.
- If you are changing careers it can sometimes be difficult to quite bring out your abilities in a new area within the confines of your resumé. Your articles on the other hand can demonstrate you have knowledge and experience commensurate with the job you are applying for.
- A prerequisite for most jobs is the ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written. Have you noticed how many people hired cannot communicate at all? Your articles fulfill this prerequisite, at least in part. You can simply invite your prospective employer to read your articles, online or printed out.
- Article writing shows that you take initiative and are a team player. After all, you are willing to share your knowledge with others and communicate it as effectively as possible.
- Someone confident enough to expose what they know on the World Wide Web to millions of visitors is someone confident in their ability to do the job.
Articles are about marketing. What you market doesn't have to be a third party product or a skill you sell through your own business. Applying for jobs or contracts is about marketing yourself and articles are a powerful tool that you can use to gain an advantage over other candidates.
Martin Hennessy Tropical Queensland, Australia