I knew that would catch your attention.
Why? Because for some reason - many people lovvvvve the word CAN'T.
My dad drove my sister and I crazy when we were kids.
Because he banned us from using the word CAN'T. ( ie/ Daaaaaaaaaaaad - I CAN'T do math!!) We also couldn't say “Yeah. . . but" (he told us it rhymed with rabbit) and we were always told to have a positive attitude.
Positive thinking was absolutely the theme of the Duke family household and as much as my sis and I complained about it (we also secretly liked it too).
And guess what? You grow up to be a Sales Diva who believes you should RARELY use the word CAN'T.
So What Are The 3 Rotten Reasons Why You “Can't" Sell?
- You Think This Phrase. " I can't sell. "
- You Say This Phrase. " I can't sell. "
- You Act This Phrase. " I can't sell. "
So What Exactly Does The Word CAN'T Do To Your Business Miss? (get ready - these are nasty!)
- It Sucks Your Business and Confidence Dry. Where's the garlic baby - you've got a vampire hanging on your neck and his name is CAN'T! If you think you are unable to do something - then guess what - your wish comes true. (It really is a draining experience!)
- Say It Enough And It Sticks. YEP - you use this word often enough and people (customers, friends, relatives, strangers in the grocery store and your family dog) will start to think you CAN'T do it either. You plant the seed enough times and it will start to grow - even in people who believe in you!
- “Luck" Starts To Evade You. If you're saying " the phrase that shouldn't be named" on a regular basis - it means you are probably turning away opportunities left, right and centre. If you think you can't. . . . then you won't. That means you are saying NO to taking a chance on something new, launching a pilot project - or learning a new skill. . . . plus a million other wonderful things!
You can. You can. You can. YOU CAN!!
Just like the “Little Engine That Could" (go and buy that book by the way) - YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN DO what you want.
You can have your dreams come true. You can attract the new client and grow a successful business. You can make more money. You can have fun and be in business.
You cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! (That's A Can-Can Line by the way!)
I have a little book that is 30 years old. It's an autograph book (I'm dating myself now!) where people would write tiny poems to you.
Here's one from a very special elderly gentleman (whom I miss very much)
Always wear a smile,
Never wear a frown,
Because it takes a good fish to go upstream,
But any old fish can go down.
So it's up to you.
Do you want success? Do you want to have the YES - I CAN feeling every day with your business? Then start tracking how often you use the word CAN'T and replace it with " I choose to. . . . " instead.
Kim Duke, The Sales Diva, provides savvy, sassy sales training for women small biz owners and entrepreneurs. Kim works with clients internationally, showing them The Sales Diva secrets to success! Sign up for her saucy and smart FREE e-zine and receive her FREE Bonus Report “The 5 Biggest Sales Mistakes Women Make” at http://www.salesdivas.com