What is the number one cause of failure in sales? The inability to overcome the fear of rejection. Why do people let this fear negatively influence their behavior? Here are a few thoughts to consider.
1. Not everyone you try to sell to will want to buy from you.
2. Expecting everyone you meet to like or accept you is to live in fantasyland.
3. If you don’t ask for anything, something – it is unlikely you will ever get it.
4. The fear of rejection prevents you from asking probing questions, asking for an appointment, asking for the order. Need I say more?
5. The fear of rejection is one of the major causes of failure in all areas of life, not just sales.
6. The fear of rejection is an attitude issue and can only be overcome by strengthening other attitudes – such as confidence, self-belief, patience, trust, and self-image.
7. The fear of rejection is not a skill issue and can’t be overcome with the latest self-help technique or fad that forces you to behave in ways that are not comfortable for you.
8. The fear of rejection is a symptom of a need for acceptance, approval or validation.
9. The fear of rejection sends a loud non-verbal message to the other person that you lack confidence or belief in yourself, your product/service and/or your ability to help him or solve his problems.
Does the fear of rejection ever prevent you from:
1. Picking up the phone and making that next call?
2. Asking for the business?
3. Asking difficult probing questions?
4. Asking for referrals?
5. Asking for a bigger order?
6. Asking for a letter of testimony?
7. Asking for anything you want?
8. Asking for more responsibility in your position or a raise?
9. Following up on a customer who has had a problem?
10. Asking for an appointment with an important person?
11. Asking for a cash deposit?
12. Asking for a long-term contract?
13. Asking for a date?
14. Asking for_ (you fill in the rest)?
Tim Connor, CSP is an internationally renowned sales, management and leadership speaker, trainer and best selling author. Since 1981 he has given over 3500 presentations in 21 countries on a variety of sales, management, leadership and relationship topics. He is the best selling author of over 60 books including; Soft Sell, That’s Life, Peace Of Mind, 91 Challenges Managers Face Today and Your First Year In Sales. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org , 704-895-1230 or visit his website at www.timconnor.com .