Here are ten simple tips to use when you go to buy a used car:
1. Open and close the hood to make sure that it works properly. Also make sure there is a bar to hold the hood open. That sounds obvious, but you would not believe what you see sometimes in used cars.
2. Be sure to check the fluid levels. If you are not sure how to do so, ask the salesperson to help you or to have a mechanic (of your choosing) do it for you.
3. Even if you are not an expert, you can look at the hoses. Look for loose connections, holes, and corrosion. Question anything you see that you do not like or do not understand.
4. Are there any burns or oil inside the distributor cap?
5. How does the air filter look? While it is not expensive to replace an air filter, an air filter that is very dirty may be indicative of a car that has not been well maintained.
6. What color is the radiator fluid? Green and clean is good. Brown and cloudy is bad.
7. Are there any loose wires under the hood? If so, this is not a good sign.
8. Are the belts worn, torn, or corroded? If so, ask to have them replaced, at the dealer or owner's expense.
9. Does the battery have sufficient water? Make sure they connectors are not corroded.
10. Don't be shy - check under the hood. Touch, feel, and look around. If you do not know much about cars, ask questions while you go along. Things that are broken, brittle, cracked, or otherwise damaged will be obvious to you, whether you know their function or not. Whether you have any doubts or not, it is always a good idea to have a mechanic check the car out too.
I hope you enjoyed these ten simple tips for buying a used car. When you go used car shopping, please make sure to use them. Once you've bought your used car, you will be glad that you did.
Did you like those used car buying tips? If you did, I have plenty more. Check out my used car buying newsletter . It's completely free and it can save you a lot of money and buy you a lot of peace of mind when you buy a used car.
Go here to sign up for my free used car buying newsletter .