There are some disadvantages of putting your photos online but I believe the benefits out way the disadvantages.
1. Your photos can be used as an inspiration for others to learn and try out the technics that you have implemented or executed on a photo. You can serve as the online guru and the viewers your students. People always admire good photos and will go out of their way to let you know if you have done well and at times will ask for advice on how to capture and achieve the same effect.
2. You give people a opportunity to experience and see what you have shot even if there are miles or maybe continents away. The story you paint in your photo can tell a thousand words. The visual impact gives the viewer a first hand experience into your photo whether it be travel, food or even a wedding photo. Your photo tells them a story, how you tell the story is up to you.
3. Your online gallery can be used as your very own online a stock photo bank. There are always people or agencies looking for photos online and maybe you can use your gallery to show of your diverse collection of photos. Good Travel Photos are always in demand.
4. You can use your gallery to share your photos to friends and family and keep up to date about each others events. You can send photos of your birthday parties and other personal events to give others a chance to see your joyous moments even if your family or relatives are half a world away.
5. Lastly, you are given a venue to express your own creativity without limits. Not everyone is blessed with a chance to share their gift of photography with others so use your online gallery and share what you can and show the world and how you see it through your photos.
Anton Sheker is a professional photographer based in Philippines. Owns and operates Philippine Online Photo Gallery http://www.photo.net.ph and founder member of http://www.worldphotodirectory.com - a free professional photographer resource guide and directory
For more photography articles visit his site online at http://www.photo.net.ph/blogalicious