A business coach or an executive coach must actively market herself or himself given the explosion of the coaching industry. This mushrooming market has grown so rapidly that statistics are sparse. However, the International Coaching Federation has increased membership from 2,122 in 1999 to 11,100 in 2006. Marketing begins after you have defined your target market because the spray and pray (spray it on the wall and pray it sticks) solution is quite costly and highly ineffective.
Again, your strategic plan should include a separate marketing plan. HINT: Many business owners confuse marketing with selling. These are two separate processes within a sales process. A future article will discuss this in further detail.
Now that you better understand your target market, you will need to determine the best way to reach these potential clients. How you reach them is part of your marketing plan within your strategic plan. Even if you don’t have a strategic plan and a strategic action plan that is comprised of the marketing goals that you are actively achieving and monitoring, there are some ways to market yourself to your target market.
Zero cost to nominal cost excluding your time
- Article marketing through quality sites such as EzineArticles is one such strategy
- Speaking at local service organizations and they may even feed you
- Writing a column in your local newspaper
- Speaking at your local radio station
- Optimizing your website to attract high traffic
- Send monthly electronic newsletters
- Attend networking opportunities
- Create strategic alliances
Moderate cost excluding your time
- Join as an associate member to associations within your target market
- Join local networking groups such as BNI, LEADS, etc.
- Join local chambers of commerce
- Purchase leads from a lead generation business
- Advertise in local media such as newspaper, print, TV or cable TV
- Speak at conferences
- Direct mail at least 1000 pieces for statistical significanc
High cost excluding your time
- Hire a marketing consultant or agency
- Advertise in larger markets on prime media vehicles such as radio or TV
- Purchase space at tradeshow
Regardless of what marketing strategy you take, make sure that you measure the outcomes. If it is working, then keep doing it. Your target market needs to know about you before they can even consider your business coaching services.
P. S. Read the Top 7.5 Tips to Increase Sales as a Business Coach or Executive Coach" .
Leanne Hoagland-Smith, M. S. is a business coach who writes and speaks on doubling business performance results. Beginning with the creation of an executable strategic action plans, her clients have experienced a 2-fold to 10 fold investment within 1 to 6 months.
One quick question, if you could secure one new client or breakthrough that one roadbloack holding you back from success, what would that mean to you? Then, take a risk and give, me, Leanne Hoagland-Smith a call at 219.759.5601 to experience incredible results.
Visit http://www.processspecialist.com/ and explore everything from free articles to connecting with Leanne.