Students preparing for Common Proficiency Test or Foundation exam of Chartered Accountant course must be feeling nervous as the examination date is knocking the doors. You must be perplexed as to how you will perform in the examination, how much marks you will score, will you be able to pass, and many other questions. Getting nervous before the exam is perfectly normal. A little nervousness is good for your performance but too much of tension can be dangerous. You can secure good marks in the exam by studying in an appropriate manner and following some tips & tricks mentioned here. This article explains how you can improve your marks in CA CPT exam.
1. Prioritize Accounting
Fundamental of Accounting is the first CPT paper of the course which focuses on basic principles and concepts of accounting. One must give priority to Accounting because it is the most scoring subject of Chartered Accountancy course. First and foremost, step of improving marks is to have a good hold on accounting concepts like journal, trial balance, cash book, partnership accounts, etc. These topics have some tricky concepts which can create trouble in the examination. So, make a strong base for scoring well in this subject.
2. Use Examples to Learn Mercantile Law
To fetch marks in this troublesome subject of Mercantile Law you are required to learn some legal terminologies and understand them as well. To make it less complicated try learning these laws by using examples because it will make it easy to remember. Important topics from this subject are Negotiable Instrument Act, Sale of Goods Act, Contract Act, Law of Torts and Partnership Act.
3. Have A Strong Base in Economics
Macro Economics is the part which will prove to be fruitful for you in the examination. This subject deals with government policies and study of national economics. In case you have cleared your concepts of macroeconomics then you can score easily in this subject. It is advisable to prepare short notes and focus on chapters like business cycle, consumption, long-run economic performance, etc.
4. Master Quantitative Aptitude with Practice
Practice is the key to score marks in Quantitative Aptitude subject. Practice as much as you can for this subject because you may require solving out some problems of MCQs in the examination. This subject is the most scoring one if you got it right or else you may end up with nothing in your hand. It is better to attempt this section at last so that you can focus on it properly. In the Statistics part of this subject focus on average, differentiation and integration, correlation and regression, etc.
5. Points To Be Noted
- There are few points that every candidate appearing for the CPT exam must note.
- Do not attempt all the questions from the CPT paper. Negative marking is applicable so do not take the risk of answering to all questions rather focus on answering maximum questions correctly.
- Do not waste too much time on questions which are time-consuming and are difficult to solve. Attempt easy questions first and grab some marks in your hands.
- After you finish reading a topic, solve to the questions mentioned at the last of the chapter and mark all those questions that you answered incorrectly.
- Practice and solve previous year questions and mock test papers.
- Revise the topics of incorrectly answered questions. This will help you have a better understanding of the topics in which you face difficulty and need more focus.
- Rely only on study materials provided by Institute of Chartered Accounts of India (ICAI).
- Prepare a timetable for studying and work in a planned manner for better results.
- Include studying in your regular routine. The results cannot be fruitful if you do not study regularly for a definite time frame.
- Maintain a positive attitude towards examination and do not live in fear of losing. Confidence can make you win races.