Are you using Google's'magic yellow button', to help transform how you search for information online? If you're not, you are missing out on something special, that can not only save you time, but also prevent you from pulling your hair out, during those frustrating search engine moments.
I'm sure this will sound familiar, but try to imagine this scenario for a moment…
You're at the Google home page, because you are looking for information about something specific. Right, so you type in your search, and Google spits back a load of search results, and you see a link to a web page, which looks like it has exactly the information you want.
So, you click on the link and wait patiently as the page loads.
. . Then you start to scan up and down, to find what Google just told you was definitely on that page!
. . You scan again, up and down, but you can't for the life of you, find the bit of text that means everything to you. There's so much text on the page it could be anywhere. It's driving you nuts trying to find it!
Will someone please help?
. . Enter Google's ‘Magic Yellow Button'
What if. . .instead of staring at a huge fuzzy page of text all blending together, you click a magic button in your browser window ‘once’.
. . Then the exact piece of information you want is instantly highlighted with, well, a highlighter pen! No kidding honest, you can actually do this, even if you are a computer dunce.
It gets better. Now that you've found the information on the page, you might find all the highlighting a bit off-putting, because you'd prefer to read the information without it.
No problem. Just click the magic yellow button again, and all the highlighting disappears before your eyes. You can turn it on and off with one click of your mouse.
Think how much time this is going to save you. Next time you use Google to look for information, you'll be able to find what you're looking for so much faster. No more giving up on a page full of text, because you don't have the time to read the whole page to find what you want to know.
Here's How To Install Google's Magic Yellow Button…
1. First, you need to install Google's free toolbar, which automatically displays every time you open your Internet browser. Don't worry, it tucks in neatly at the top of your browser window, you will hardly notice after a little while. You can download the free toolbar from this page on Google: http://toolbar. google.com/
2. Once you have installed the toolbar, open up your Internet browser and you will see it displayed near the top of the page. Click on the link or icon that says ‘Options’.
3. A pop up window will open. Click on the tab at the top, which says ‘More’.
4. Under the sub headline ‘Find On Page'; you will see the option titled: ‘Highlight', with an image of a highlighter pen next to it. Click on the box to the left of it, until the green tick is displayed.
5. Click ‘OK’ to finish, and you're done.
Now, open up your Internet browser again, and go and do a test search at www.Google.com. Search for anything you like, just type in the first few words that come into your head.
Click on ‘any’ of the search results and check out their web page. Before you start scanning the page, look up to the Google toolbar you've just installed, and click on the ‘highlight’ icon once.
Has the page lit up for you?
Scroll down the page faster than you could possibly read.
Isn't that the easiest way to find a few words hidden somewhere on a page full of text? Amazing tool isn't it?
Just remember, you can turn the highlighting on and off instantly, just by clicking on the highlight button with your mouse.
I hope you found this useful. Happing searching!
Jason Lewis is creator of the ‘Find Stuff Quickly’ video series, a comprehensive step-by-step guide, showing you how to find information faster and more accurately using Google. To improve your research skills, visit: Google Search Engine Tips on Video