Spring is a time of freshness, radiance, brightness and energy. Most of us like to reflect these feelings in our homes but are not quite sure how to go about it. We want to bring the outdoors in and fill our homes with light, color and radiant energy.
There are several things we can do to accomplish this:
1. Flowers - Fill empty spaces with fresh live flowers or the ever popular silk artificial flowers.
Think beyond the normal scope of sticking a handful of flowers in a traditional vase. Fill a delicate teacup with your favorite blossoms. Make birch bark vases and hang them on the wall. Run garlands or vines around your ceiling for a lively colorful border. Go to garage or estate sales and buy old jars, bottles, and containers. Fill them with colored water and then add your favorite flowers and/or greenery. Use brilliant bright planters and pots for your flowers. Group them together for a more vibrant display.
Take a large brandy snifter and add a pretty bouquet. Dig out an old canister set and fill them with interesting arrangements. Do not be limited by old traditional ideas. Let your imagination come alive so your home can as well.
2. Color - Add bright splashes of color to liven up your home. Pretty bright throw pillows are always a good way to add color and coziness to your home. Use a colorful quilt as a wall hanging. Paint your boring brown baseboards and wood trim a bright luminous color.
Fill pretty glass containers with colorful marbles, beads and stones for a dazzling effect. Frame your child's colorful paintings and group them together on one wall for a fun and radiant look. Fill a basket with bright towels, soaps, washcloths etc. and display in your bathroom. Dress up your tired old bookcase with some pretty wallpaper.
The possibilities are endless. It is your house so make it as pretty and untraditional as you want to.
3. Candles - For freshness and light, candles are a classic. Find a glass bowl and fill it with potpourri and candles for a “scentsational" centerpiece. Fill a shelf with a brilliant array of spring-colored candles. Make a pretty floating candle display. Hang gleaming candle lanterns over your table for an aromatic burst of light.
4. Fruit - Fruit can add color and brightness to any home. Paint a wooden bowl an energetic bright color and fill it full of fresh, richly colored fruit for an aromatic, fresh centerpiece. Decorate your fireplace mantle with an arrangement of fruit garlands and sprigs. Add some spring scented potpourri such as lilac, primrose, or jasmine.
5. Lighten and Brighten - With spring on the way, we want to get rid of the heavy, dark winter feel. We can accomplish that with a few changes in our home.
Take down those heavy drapes and put up some light, breezy curtains or sheers. Let the light in! Put away heavy blankets or quilts and replace them with lightweight throws or coverlets.
Clean up the clutter! Nothing can make a house look tired and weighed down more than too much clutter. Opt for a clean, fresh, airy look and feel.
Mix and match some of the above ideas along with your own to liven up your home. Make your home a fresh, colorful oasis and your spirits will come alive as well.
Lesley Dietschy is a writer, jewelry designer, and the founder of a network of popular websites including http://www.HomeDecorExchange.com and http://www.HomeGardenExchange.com . Both of these websites feature valuable information and resources to assist you in decorating your home and garden.
Also visit http://www.TheJewelryPlaza.com for your ultimate jewelry resource.