Acne is a phrase for a variety of symptoms, including pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, and skin cysts. It is a condition where the pores of the skin become clogged; therefore, you develop inflamed and non-inflamed legions.
Dissimilar to popular belief, chocolate and dirty skin does not cause acne outbreaks. For the most part, it is hereditary. If you have parents that have acne, chances are you too would have it. Other factors that can cause acne outbreaks are stress, sun exposure, seasonal changes, and climate. Certain types of makeup can also cause breakouts.
Acne is more common among teenagers – about 80 percent of young boys and girls develop acne. Teenagers get acne because hormones called androgens, which increase the amount of oil the skin produces, circulate at higher levels in their blood.
Here are a few things you can do to stay acne free.
1. Change your makeup: Oil-based makeup is a problem, because the oil is usually a derivative of fatty acids that are more potent than your own fatty acids. If you suffer from acne, you should use a non-oil-based makeup.
2. Cosmetic products containing lanolin’s, isopropyl myristate, sodium lauryl sulfate, laureth-4, and D & C red dyes should be avoided because these ingredients are too rich for the skin.
3. Tea tree oil used externally acts against the bacteria associated with acne. Studies show that a 5 percent tea tree oil preparation worked as well as 5 percent benzoyl peroxide in treating acne, but with fewer to no side effects.
4. Keep lavender oil around the house. This essential oil is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and astringent. You can also use this oil for skin irritations and minor burns.
5. Use aloe vera. The gel is soothing and helps heal wounds of all kinds, it is also anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial. Buy only the pure gel and use topically as needed.
6. Use natural face products that contain fruit acids. Fruit acids help get rid of excess amounts of the protein keratin and those dead skin cells that may otherwise clog pores. They act like commercial salicylic acid formulas without the side effects.
7. Place fruits like grapes and strawberries or pineapple husks, into a blender. Apply the concoction like a mask; leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, and wash off.
Because most people think acne is caused by dirty skin, they become extreme face washers. Forceful face washing only aggravates the situation. Washing the skin’s surface does not get rid of the follicles of bacteria and excess oils. It is better to wash gently with a mild cleanser. Morning and evening is better.
Jason Hunter is a natural health advocate. He is webmaster of a natural health web site called Home Health and Natural Remedies. He gives advise and alternative treatment options for treating acne naturally. You can visit his website at: http://www.hhesonline.com/natural_remedies/acne.htm