1. “Never miss a good chance to shut up. " – As the saying goes, you never learn anything while you’re talking. Make sure to listen more…to your customers, employees and advisors.
2. “If you’re riding ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it’s still there. " – Always remember, the definition of a leader is someone who has followers.
3. “You’ve got to go out on a limb sometimes, because that’s where the fruit is. " – Always playing it safe will keep you from achieving all you’re meant to in your small business.
4. “Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today. " – What’s done is done. Learn from the past, then let it go, so you can accomplish greater things tomorrow.
5. “You must judge a man’s greatness by how much he will be missed. " – Obviously, America missed Will Rogers tremendously. If tomorrow never comes, what will friends say about you?
6. “Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier ‘n puttin’ it back in. " – New initiatives. Great opportunities. More products/services. Consider them all, and never lose your primary focus.
7. “Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction. " – Many small business owners get trapped in “Ready, aim, aim, ready…, " and never fire. Don’t just sit around. Go flyin’ instead.
8. “We can’t all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by. " – This is a good lesson for you and your small business employees. Somebody has to do the work.
9. “An ignorant person is one who doesn’t know what you have just found out. " – Knowledge is an advantage, especially in selling, where you should always know more than your competition.
10. “It’s not what you pay a man, but what he costs you that counts. " – Hiring someone for less than market value sounds like a good idea…until you hire the wrong person entirely.
11. “We are all here for a spell; get all the good laughs you can. " – Everyone should see life as Will Rogers saw it…finding humor in all we observe, and still making a difference in the world.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com ), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he’s been there – as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.