1. No one wants to be bothered.
2. It’s too hot.
3. It’s a beautiful day; everyone is out.
4. No one is thinking about work.
5. Prospects are getting ready to go on vacation.
6. Everyone is on vacation.
7. Prospects are just returning from their vacations
8. I’m preparing to go on vacation.
9. I’m on vacation.
10. I’ve just returned from vacation.
11. My assistant is on vacation.
12. Their assistant is on vacation.
13. No one is in on Mondays.
14. No one is in on Fridays.
15. Prospects are catching up midweek.
16. Prospects leave the office early.
17. Prospects go to the office late.
18. Prospects take long lunches.
19. No one makes appointments till after July 4th.
20. No one makes appointments till after Labor Day.
Print this list out. Send it to your competition. Then, get on the telephone!
Life and work continue, even in the summer! If it’s too hot, then your prospects will be in their nice, air-conditioned offices—where you should be, too, making calls. If it is a beautiful day, some people may be out. The rest will not.
Everyone is not on vacation every day. If you happen to call someone who is on vacation, call them back when they return. If they are planning a vacation, schedule the meeting for when they return. If they have just returned from their vacation, schedule for a time when they say they will be caught up. If you are going on vacation, schedule for when you return.
Prospects are in the office on Mondays and Fridays, early and late. They are frequently at their desks during lunch—especially when you are calling the boss.
Prospects make appointments all summer long, just as they do in the fall, winter and spring. If a prospect asks you to call back after a holiday, suggest that you “pencil in a meeting for after the holiday. ” Promise that you will call to confirm it. Do so!
Have a wonderful prospecting summer!
© 2005 Wendy Weiss
Wendy Weiss, “The Queen of Cold Calling & Selling Success, ” is a sales trainer, author, and sales coach. Her recently released program, “Cold Calling College", and/or her book, “Cold Calling for Women", can be ordered by visiting http://www.wendyweiss.com Contact her at email@example.com. Get Wendy’s free e-zine at www.wendyweiss.com