We're all familiar with the importance of our computers having a dependable operating system, if for no other reason than we may have experienced the contrast of NOT having one. Operating systems are foundational to building a strong practice and life on purpose. While this article is about building such a system in your practice, don't forget that it's also vitally important to take the time and invest the energy into building and maintaining a similar personal foundation.
Here's a skeletal framework that can be used for building a dependable operating system that will help assure your practice stays on purpose.
Purpose principles are standards or guidelines you intend to adhere to that will maintain the practice staying true to its vision and your personal life purpose. For example, one of Life On Purpose Institute, Inc. 's (LOPI) Purpose Principles is: We add value to people's lives for the pure joy of it. For me this practice is consistent with our vision of a World On Purpose as well as an expression of a “life of mindful abundance balanced with simplicity" portion of my life purpose statement. Here are a couple more:
* The people who work and play at Life On Purpose Institute are crystal clear that their involvement is a full expression of their own life purpose and that as the vision of LOPI is realized, their life purpose is also being realized.
* At LOPI, people not only work in their jobs and their accountabilities, they also work on them, continuing to improve, innovate and implement.
* At LOPI we realize that anything and everything can be resolved through communication and we'd rather err on the side of over-communicating than under-communicating.
Purpose Practices are ways of implementing and operating consistently with the Purpose Principles. Here are a few examples:
* We've started providing each fr. ee teleclass a complete set of notes and with a follow up ‘purposeful present’ for those who attend. These practices are consistent with adding value to people's lives for the pure joy of it.
* Everyone who joins the Life On Purpose Team goes through the Life On Purpose Process to clarify their true life purpose and learn the tools for living true to it. This practice is consistent with the principle that all people at our enterprise be crystal clear about our life purpose.
* And consistent with our commitment to both work in our business and on our business, I've set aside two half days to work on the business which includes a weekly Team-LOPI phone meeting for that purpose.
In one sense a business is what I refer to as a “Meta" Purpose Project in that it is usually an amalgam of several smaller Purpose Projects. The key point to remember is that for a project to be a Purpose Project it needs to be consistent with and an expression of the vision of the business (which, since the vision arises from the owner's life purpose, the projects of the business will be consistent with that as well. ) Again, as an example, Life On Purpose Institute, Inc. is a Meta Purpose Project of my life purpose, and the business is made up of several other Purpose Projects such as:
* Speaking On Purpose Project - This includes our fr. ee teleclasses, live presentations, and soon will include offering our services to radio talk shows, and also developing speaking opportunities to the Spanish speaking world.
* Practice On Purpose - our subsidiary is its own Purpose Project and personal coaching practice where I work with burned out boomer professional and business owners.
* Visionary Writers On Purpose Team - Our growing team of writers committed that the Power of Words can shape our world and create a World On Purpose. The list goes on and on, but I won't. I think you get the point.
These are the physical structures that you may need to maintain your principles, practices and projects and could include:
* Weekly team meetings
* Displays of your principles and practices
* Notebook where you keep your list of Purpose Projects, etc.
Building such an operating system in your business and in your personal life takes time, which is why it's important to carve out ‘working-on-your-business (and on your life)’ time for such activities. In the process of forging such a system you are bringing a level of integrity to your business and life that will serve you well in the long run.
©2005 Brad Swift of Life On Purpose Institute, Inc. This article can be reprinted freely online, as long as the entire article and this resource box are included.
Dr. Brad Swift founded Life On Purpose Institute in 1996 with the vision of creating a World On Purpose by assisting people like yourself to clarify their life purpose & live true to it. Determine how on or off purpose your life is with the fun & insightful Self Test at: http://lifeonpurpose.com/_forms/self-test.php?source=ezart Inspire yourself with a fr. ee subscription to Purposeful Pondering Ezine: http://lifeonpurpose.com/index.php?dir=_ezines&task=view-ezines