Every job may be different, but there are some surefire ways to help you climb the corporate ladder. Here are five tips to help you get ahead at the office:
1. Say it like you mean it. When you have a good idea, be sure of yourself. If you put faith in your ideas, others will pick up on this and put faith in your ideas as well. When your enthusiasm for your ideas comes through in your speech, you will find that your co-workers back your concepts.
2. Dress for success. I always advise dressing responsibly to be treated responsibly. By showing up to work dressed like a teenager, you will be perceived as irresponsible and not trustworthy. You can keep up with the latest trends and still dress like a mature adult. Although you may not want to always act your age, dressing like it is always a good idea in the workplace.
3. Attitude is everything. Nobody likes his or her job 100% of the time, but your attitude shouldn't reflect that. By complaining in the workplace you cease to be viewed as a ‘team player, which can really work against you when it comes time for your yearly review. If you constantly complain about the work you are responsible for, you will not come to mind when your boss is looking for someone to head up an important project or to receive a promotion.
4. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Merely bringing a problem to light is not enough. In order to show that you are concerned with the ins and outs of your office, offer logical solutions to potential or current issues. Instead of focusing on a hardship, focus on a solution. You will be viewed as a responsible, reliable self-starter, who can take charge of any situation.
5. Be on time. This may sound obvious, but being on time is important to career advancement. It is noted when a worker constantly comes in late. It shows that this person does not take his job seriously, But if you consistently come in on time, you will be viewed as a hard worker who values your job. This will be remembered when it comes time for a promotion.
This is not to say that the workplace can never be fun, there are appropriate places to let your hair down and have a good time, and the office is not one of them.
By following these simple guidelines, your move up the corporate ladder should be stress-free. You might be surprised how a few changes in your work habits can put you on the road to success.
Sharon Mann is an organizational expert for Pendaflex a leading supplier of office prodcts and orgazniational solutions, author and President of the I Hate Filing Club. For more information go to http://www.pendaflex.com