Motivational humorous speakers can help to motivate meeting attendees at your next event. Motivation has been defined as the deployment of physical, mental and emotional energy toward a specific task or goal. In pure psychological terms motivation is often referred to initiation, intensity and persistence of a specific behavior and by employing a motivational humorous speaker you can tap into true motivation. Motivation can be a temporal and dynamic state that should not be confused with emotion or personality. A motivational humorous speaker can help point out that motivation is having the desire and willingness to do something. A motivated person can be reaching for a long-term goal such as becoming a professional athlete or a more short-term goal like learning how to speak conversational Spanish and often times a motivational humorous speaker helps.
Motivational humorous speakers can help stress that there are two types of motivational influences or forces at work when trying to accomplish a specific task or goal. Motivational humorous speakers show that intrinsic motivation is present when people engage in an activity for its own sake, without some obvious external incentive present. Learning a new skill or hobby is a typical example, like our example above of learning conversational Spanish. Intrinsic motivation has been studied intensely by psychologists and humorous motivational speakers since the early 1970s, and numerous studies have found it to be associated with high goal achievement and enjoyment by participants. Motivational humorous speakers also help participants to enjoy the meeting experience and learn about motivation at the same time.
Traditionally, motivational humorous speakers articulate how extrinsic motivation has been used to motivate employees with tangible rewards such as pay raises, promotion and punishments. Intangible rewards such as praise or public commendation can work as well and a competent motivational humorous speaker will demonstrate this in his/her presentation. However with the United States economy transitioning from manufacturing to service industries, the importance of intrinsic motivation rises:
- The further we move jobs move from pure manufacturing, the harder it becomes to measure individual productivity and this makes the case to employ a motivational humorous speaker. This effect is more evident for knowledge workers and truly apparent in teamwork. A lack of objective or universally accepted criteria for measuring individual productivity may make individual rewards arbitrary.
- Since by definition intrinsic motivation does not rely on financial incentives, it is cheap in terms of dollars but expensive in the fact that the inherent rewards of the activity and the motivational humorous speaker can help you attendees internalized a motivational mantra.
- For many business activities it may not be possible to find any or enough intrinsically motivated people, thus the need for a motivational humorous speaker.
- Intrinsically motivated employees, even after the motivational humorous speaker finishes will need to focus on their goals for the future.
- Intrinsic motivation is easily made a negative that can cause it to be extinguished or stomped out in the organization, e. g. , additional extrinsic motivation is known to have a negative impact on intrinsic motivation in many cases, the perceived value that a motivational humorous speaker brings to the equation.
Motivational humorous speakers are your best bet when trying to motivate your employees and can be an integral part of a successful meeting or event.
Doug Dvorak is the CEO of DMG Inc. , a worldwide organization that assists clients with productivity training, corporate humor and workshops, as well as other aspects of sales and marketing management. Mr. Dvorak's clients are characterized as Fortune 1000 companies, small to medium businesses, civic organizations and service businesses. Mr. Dvorak has earned an international reputation for his powerful educational methods and motivational techniques, as well as his experience in all levels of business, corporate education and success training.